Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Review Time #41

Dead Jealous by Sharon Jones

People think of Mother Nature as a gentle lady. They forget that she's also Death...Sixteen-year-old Poppy Sinclair believes in quantum particles, not tarot cards, in Dawkins, not druids. Last summer, in a boating accident in the Lake District, Poppy had a brush with death. But the girl she finds face down in Scariswater hasn't been so lucky. As she fights to discover the truth behind what she believes is murder, Poppy is forced to concede that people and things are not always what they seem and, slipping ever deeper into a web of lies, jealousy and heart-stopping danger, she comes to realise - too late - that the one thing that can save her has been right there, all the time.

I wasn't expecting what I got from Dead Jealous, the mystery, the romance and all this pagan influence. I love mystery books, but I have tended to find that I can easily guess who is the murder or who is running everything. However, Dead Jealous leaves you hanging on until the end as to whose done it.

Poppy has had a rough year, she almost died from a boating accident, her parents got divorced, she is in love with her best friend and her mum is getting re-married. Now she has found a dead body, a guy that seems interested in her, and is trying to find out what happened to the missing girl who the dead girl was best friends with. Poppy has her flaws like any character but one that got me was her ability to trust everyone, just because no one has done wrong by her before doesn't mean no one ever is. You would think that after finding at dead body at a Pagan festival Poppy wouldn't be so trusting. 

While the start is slow, once the mystery begins you can't help but get swept up in it, wanting to know who did it, who is going to die next and why is it all connected. Unfortunately for me I had college sport on and had to put it down, right when I didn't want to. The romance has you wishing that Poppy would just take a chance on telling Michael that she is in love with him. I enjoyed seeing things from Michael's perspective especially since you don't see some of the mystery that happens from his end through Poppy's eyes.

One of the things I enjoyed most about Dead Jealous, was that It was dark and I couldn't guess who was behind the murders. After the ending that was given and the preview of book 2, I cannot wait for the next one with the mystery that keeps on unfolding. 

Thanks to Date A Book for the holding the competition on facebook for the copy!

Rating: 4/5

Keely xx

No comments:

Post a Comment